Friday, February 15, 2008

My Husband: Equal Opportunity Gift Acceptor

My husband and I don't really celebrate VD. <snicker, snicker>; I am of the opinion that it's an inflated holiday for people who don't do nice things for one another roughly 359 days of the year (359 because we obviously need to exclude other inflated commercial holidays, X-Mas, Birthdays & Anniversaries). I don't believe my husband has any feelings toward VD, he just enjoys that I don't want flowers or chocolate. On the other hand, he was the recipient of several gifts this year, among them – from a "client" (a super fancy gift basket of chocolate, cheese, crackers, caviar, etc) and from the barista dude at Starbucks (who I think digs him - a free pound of coffee).

In his defense, he did give me a card and dialed for Chinese last night, so he gets extra points for that.

I think more people should celebrate the way my friends in London do. The short version is that the day after VD they both go out looking for the most horrific VD paraphernalia. Of course, it being the day after VD everything is in the bargain bin. Hence "Bargaintine's Day". Far more fun, cheaper and when else is it appropriate to buy a giant trout made of chocolate?

So for those of you over the pond, Happy Bargaintines's Day. Those of you stateside, I hope you had a nice VD!

No comments: