Monday, January 14, 2008

My Shameful Addiction

Pills? No.
Sex? No
Booze? No...

It's Rock of Love.

I realize this is ridiculous. Of all the reality television out there this is close to the most horrifying. That's a respectable achievement when you start to think about all the bad shows out there. I blame my husband. During season one, he added it to the DVR. He forced me to watch it the same way I force him to watch Dexter. After awhile I got into it and started to look forward to what crazy hi-jinx and mayhem the pack of sluts would take part in week after week.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, the basic series of events is as follows:

Brett Michaels – Lead Singer born: ‘63
Glam Metal Band Poison is popular: ’87-’92 (see photo of strange man in leather with too much hair spray)
Glam Metal Band Poison not popular: ’93 – present
Brett Michaels starts looking for his “Rock of Love” – ‘07

Brett Michaels gets dumped by his first "Rock of Love" - '07
Brett Michaels looks for his “Rock of Love” again – ‘08

From what I could gather, last season was pretty low budget. The girls didn't appear to know who they were competing to date. Some of them were so young they didn't know what Poison actually sang. Most importantly, it didn't get really dirty for at least a few episodes. The skank factor had a gradual incline. I had a chance to become invested in the story line; it became more than an exercise in tolerating it weekly because my husband wanted to watch girl fights. (Did I seriously just say that Rock of Love had a story line? God help me.)

Anyway, I can't say the same thing for season two. Immediately it was like Strippers R Us. He hooked up with approximately 23 out of 25 women in the first few hours. I know, you're thinking, "Only 23? What happened to the other two?". One passed out drunk and the other had moral standards (despite the fact that she poses in Playboy). I totally get that - don't you?

So here is the big shocker of season two - one of the ladies is Megan from Beauty and the Geek (pictured at left with her geek, Scooter). How does that work exactly? Is there a network of reality TV stars with fake boobs that just bounce from one show to the next? She just won $250K on the last show. I think 100% of that prize money went directly into her lips in the form of collagen.

Needless to say I may just watch until Megan gets booted, she's dumb and kind of funny. And if not for that reason, what's more fun than watching a pasty, bloated, 40 something washed up ex-rocker with type 1 diabetes suck face with 20 year old strippers? Exactly, I thought you might agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK - but who won on season 1? I left before the end. I MISS VH1 reality shows, and best week ever. The closest thing we have here is re-runs of Real World Philly. Boooo! FYI - my shameful addictions (in addition to Rock of Love) was Flavor of Love and I LOVE New York.