Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stuff White People Like

So as I said previously, if you haven't checked out the site - Go. Now. It's super funny. http://www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

Yesterday was a tribute to the ritual of St. Patrick's Day. It reminds me of the vomit fueled weekends of college during Erin Express. Drinking at 10AM is totally acceptable a few days of the year. Of course at my age I don't start before noon and when I do start at noon I have to take a nap by 8PM. Such is life.

People are obsessed with the drinking of others. Case in point - please direct your attention to a little something the NYTimes is calling a new phenomena, Drunkorexia. I think this requires little explanation. They describe this as the practice of replacing food with alcohol. I seem to recall this being called something else when I was in my early 20's...what was that again? Oh wait, I know. College. Yes it was called College.

They claim that people starve themselves all day and then binge drink. HA! I seem to recall that starving ones self all day was either because you forgot to go food shopping, had no money or wanted to make sure you got good and tanked that evening. The binge part was pretty much the status quo. When did we not binge drink? It's not like we were having dinner parties and networking events. We were there to tie a load on.

It's not something you really get a lot of guidance around. My mother's only advice was the following, "When your face goes numb, you should stop" and "If you want to drink a lot, try scotch and water." Good sound advice if one wants to avoid making an arse out of ones self. However our objective was a little less noble - when you face goes numb, you're halfway there, keep drinking! If this weren't the case then why would someone create a plethora of games to push you over the edge?

Ponder that as you celebrate your next drinking holiday. (PS - you may want to have a few first, it will make the conversation much more interesting.)




Picture credit: www.allposters.com

1 comment:

kajal said...

Thank you so much for introducing me to this site.