Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Life would be easier if you could wear your kid like a backpack...

Not to brag, but there's very little that I find intimidating. Or rather, there's very little that I find so intimidating that I actually experience anxiety.

Fast forward to this morning.

The little one has her first doctor's appointment. Aside from the fact that I have to take a cab (which meant I had to do extensive research on how to secure the car seat in a cab, without the base and only the seat belt); I also had to deal with an ice/rain/slush mess outside. So while I have zero problem presenting to senior level executives at work, I had a near mental meltdown over how to get to the f'ing doctors office which is probably less than 2 miles from my house.

The peanut was not cooperating in the crying department so we had to do some quick comfort feeding before I called the cab. (I feel like all I do is whip out my boobs these days.) Then I had to remove a layer because she looked so pitiful and hot. (She sort of resembled that kid from A Christmas Story in the snow suit) Then I had to dig out my duck boots because of the 6 inches of slush I could see at the edge of every curb. So I chucked the kid in the car seat, slapped a paci in her mouth so she didn't freak out and bundled her up. Praying that slugging this car seat around wasn't going to pop open my stitches, I was off to the lobby.

I made it into the cab and got her seat strapped in with help from the driver and I was feeling pretty good (that guy totally got a good tip). I get to the pediatricians and I'm thinking I'm doing pretty well because I'm only a few minutes late. That's when they tell me that my appointment wasn't for another 2 hours. Not 11:45, it was 1:45. Nice. Thankfully they were able to take us early. Husband texted me to get status...he thought the appointment was for 9:30. You would think between two relatively intelligent people we would be able to get our shit together. Yea, not so much.

On the upside, I have birthed an amazon. She's gained her birth weight back and then some. She's also grown almost an inch in length. 90th percentile! I don't find this shocking because her father is 6'3" and her mother has weird long arms and legs like a freaky monkey. Yes, that's right people. A freaky monkey.

No comments: