Sunday, October 14, 2007

eBay + Vintage Handbags = Crack-like Addiction

It's official, I have an eBay addiction. There's so much stuff out there that I can't help myself. I go out to eBay with the best of intentions. I have a specific thing I'm looking for and I search for it in earnest. The problem is that I often find things I didn't know I wanted. I have no idea how or why it happened but I somehow fell in love with pin-up girls, specifically Gil Elvgren. I thought it would be really cool to decorate our bedroom in 50's pin-up girls. I began searching and bidding on lithographs. I was repeatedly outbid so I ended up with a really cool coffee table book instead.

Then I had a great idea to complete my mother's silver pattern so she could serve 20 at Christmas. I was like a woman possessed. Everyday.... searching, digging, teaspoons, serving pieces. Then I started to find things I liked. I started bidding on silver for myself. This is totally unnecessary since I have silver from my wedding but mine isn't Art Deco so I felt it made complete sense. Who knew that was so competitive. I actually forced one of my co-workers to choose a happy hour locale with wifi so I could finish one of my auctions. I never did win anything for myself but I did manage to get everything but the soup spoons for my mom.

There have been a variety of things since then but my latest purchases have caused my husband to become concerned. I doubt its my mental health he's worried about, my guess is he's can't figure out where I'm going to put all the stuff. If you know me, you know I have an obsession with handbags. Old, new, weird, you name it, I'll buy it. Before you give me crap about how ridiculous this is I would like to point out that I actually carry these bags. It started when I randomly found two handbags listed together for $9. I bought them. I loved them. I started digging for more. Why didn't I think about this earlier? eBay is a perfect place to find vintage handbags. Silly me, I've been wasting time at antique markets and garage sales. This is instant gratification and far more rewarding because I get to beat those other bidders with my super human bidding skills.

I've won three in the last few days at ridiculously undervalued prices. May favorite is pictured at left. Walborg made some fantastic bags. I have a black beaded one I found a few years ago at an antique market. My husband calls it The Armadillo.



This is why I love eBay, lots of lazy people clearing out Grandma's stuff with no knowledge of how much they could actually get for these things. It's going to be Christmas in October. I realize I sound like a complete psychotic, but I'm being serious. I told my husband that when I die he can sell them all and take himself on vacation. That seemed to make him feel a little better about it.

I also found a lot of 24 wonderful vintage hankies. How can you not love those little embroidered squares. Aren't they required when you carry those really old bags? Hand rolled edges man...I couldn't stop myself.

Currently I'm watching three Corde bags from the 40's. I would be willing to bet that most people don't know (or care) what a Corde bag is, but let me tell you - they're worth fighting for!

On a side note, I'm loving my new blog photo. (One of my co-workers pointed out that the previous picture's reference to drowning cats wasn't pleasant - PEOPLE, IT'S ART!) It was time for a change anyway and since I have a thing for Gil Elvgren and fall/winter skeet shooting starts soon I thought this one was a good choice. We're kicking off this year by taking the old man to shoot sporting clays somewhere near Reading. And, in case you were wondering, I have the coolest shell bag - it's orange suede.

No comments: