Sunday, October 7, 2007

Finding a New Outlet for my Obsession with Kitchen Stuff

Here is a list, for no apparent reason, of some of my most favorite kitchen & kitchen related things. Keeping in mind that I am not trained, have managed to cut myself on more than one occasion and I have a problem with compulsively buying kitchen gadgets. Perhaps this is a way for me to feed my kitchen obsession without buying more stuff that doesn't fit in the drawers. Please feel free to add your favorites!

The 40001 Zester (left)
Sounds super fancy and is hands down the best zester, grater thingy I've ever used. I've never taken off skin with this thing and it's scary accurate. Put these in the stockings last year for my mother and sister.

The Smooth Edge Can Opener
Forced to go to a Pampered Chef Party? Here's something to buy so you don't have to feel bad. Again, no more tetanus shots necessary. I can run that can lid along my wrist without having to call 911!

The Classic Cheese Grater
No more cutting knuckles on the big metal grater when trying to grate Parmesan. (Are you getting the sense I'm prone to accidents?) Ours also came with a nifty attachment to collect the cheese and just pop a cap on it and put it in the fridge. Brilliant!

Metal Gear Corkscrew (right)
Someone gave this to us as a gift and being a wine key girl I scoffed at the idea that I needed a complicated opener. This thing is superfast and comes with a nifty foil remover. I'll save the wine key for picnics.
The Wine Saver (left)
Feel like not finishing that bottle you just opened? No problem. This thing helps you keep your wine tasting as good as the moment you opened it for a few more days.


The Pineapple Slicer (right)
Sounds useless, doesn't it? I like pineapple, i hate cutting it. This thing lets you cut an entire pineapple in a giant perfect ring in less than 10 seconds. No mess and you get a glass of juice at the end too!


This magazine is like a feeding frenzy for kitchen gadget people. Every issue has reviews for everything from dutch ovens to whisks. You can't help but love a test kitchen. It only comes out every other month so it's almost impossible to let them accumulate without reading them. Who knew you could be so excited about something that costs more and is less? Next time you see it in line at the Whole Foods, pick up a copy....you know you want to.

I defected to Gourmet for a little while but found the recipes too involved and time consuming. I also tried Cooking Light, but something about trying to make things low calorie kills the fun. This magazine however is single handedly responsible for giving my family and friends the mistaken idea that I can cook!

No comments: