Monday, December 3, 2007

Facebook may turn us all into Ted Kaczynski

So I’ve always hated Facebook for it’s complete lack of interesting functionality and an inability to personalize your space. Of course I had a Facebook account but rarely went to the site. I was just so tired of getting the invitations that I finally gave in. (seems to be a theme) I’m not even sure I posted a picture. I was happy to let it sit and collect friends until this latest little item freaked me out . I deactivated my account and I’m now I’m finished with facebook Done and Done. AMERICAblog.com.

Then today they were in the news for doing what they said they weren't doing - irreverent data collection. Apparently they weren't entirely truthful about how much data they collect...go figure. It tracks your even when you told them not to. It's like an invisible LoJack on your life.

And if you want to take conspiracy theory to a freaky new level, here's a little history on the evolution of Facebook and some of its policies, compliments of Conspiracy Central.

Perhaps I need to go buy a cabin in the woods and start my manifesto. Maybe my father was right. His sentiment about all these social networking sites (and in the spirit of full disclosure, blogging as well) is that no sane person should be interested in putting themselves out there. I blog because I like to write. I joined MySpace because I found a lot of people with which I lost touch. LinkedIn is good for career networking - right? Am I really insane for doing what all the other kids are doing?

A few years ago I got a job with a bunch of propeller heads. These guys were hardcore, I built a mainframe in my basement, geeks. I learned alot in those three years. It's amazing how much information is out there on a person. The more "stuff" you do, the more I can dig around in your business. It's not even about "doing stuff online". It's other people you do stuff with, other organizations, mistakes by your phone company, public records. And we're all compulsively shredding our credit card statements into a festive confetti mix while the rest of our lives hang out like laundry flapping in the breeze.

In five clicks, with your name, city and state, I can tell you how old you are, most of the places you've lived and possibly your current address. Even if you're unlisted, chances are I can find at least one service that "accidentally" has your info. (www.theultimates.com) Got a domain? In two clicks I can probably get additional contact information on you. (www.networksolutions.com) And you thought you were so tricky by not listing your real name on your social networking site - do a reverse look up by that personal email address you put on your resume. That'll find you without any question as to whether it belongs to you or not. Alumni information from high school all the way to graduate school, donations to the charitable organization of your choice, answered questions on LinkedIn recently....gravy. Depending on which state you live in you could be in trouble. Did you know that for a nominal fee, and sometimes for free, you can get access to some very private records. www.peopledata.com In Texas (go ahead, make jokes about the Lone Star State, it's not just Texas doing this stuff) you can type in a license plate number and it will give you a full download of who owns the car, their parking tickets and driving record. Been married or divorced - your state may hand this information out like candy. Bought a house, sold a house, lost a house....you get the picture.

Like I said, cabin in the woods - manifesto optional. Home school your kids! Bury you retirement savings in mason jars in the backyard. Start that canned vegetable collection in the bomb shelter. I hear SPAM ages well. Godspeed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have now added you to my Favorites